The Art Of Troubleshooting is a universal guide to help you fix any machine. From toasters to computer programs to airplanes to nuclear reactors, here you’ll find useful information to intelligently steer your next repair project—or crisis, as the case may be!
Here, we aim to describe a common language of fixing things: you’ll learn principles that you can apply to any trade, industry, or machine. Even if you don’t troubleshoot professionally, you will benefit from knowing how to get things working again. In our everyday lives, we all depend on machines and have to deal with the fallout when they break. You’ll be surprised at how far you can go by knowing just a few simple principles!
But don’t worry, while The Art Of Troubleshooting aims to be universal, it isn’t too abstract: many specific examples tie the principles back to everyday situations. You’ll see the fundamentals at work in a variety of fields: automotive, aviation, computers, construction, networking, energy, plumbing, and many more.
There are over 50 articles here to help you become a fix-it master. To help you find what you’re looking for, the information is organized in the following sections:
- Introductions: overviews and origins, plus a General Theory of Troubleshooting.
- Strategies: time-tested recipes to get from broken to fixed in the shortest time possible.
- Virtues: the behaviors and mindset of a great troubleshooter.
- Cleaning Up: after you’ve fixed it, be sure to learn from the experience and make improvements for the future.
- Research: original investigations.
- News: goings-on around here.